I see a lot of parallels between Marijuana and Steroids. Both have been victims of extensive 'Reefer Madness' negative propaganda. Now while marijuana is on the verge of widespread acceptance and legalization, steroids and PEDs of many kinds are still terribly demonized.
Here are the only three questions necessary to ask to give you the full picture of steroids.
Are steroids dangerous? Yes
Can steroids be used safely and effectively? Yes
Even when used safely, are there potential side effects of their use that a user should be aware of? Yes
The effectively part is understood, they work great. That's why people actually use them. What you don't hear much of is that with proper guidance, there are very safe for people to use towards their goals. This goes for all sorts of different PEDs (but not all I'm sure).
So if they can be used but have potential downsides, how are they any worse than alcohol? I personally do not drink alcohol nor do I smoke, do narcotic drugs, or take steroids or PEDs. I am for a person's right to choose, yes even to take the hard drugs, and that choice needs to be made with all the information and without outside pressure. That is the ideal. Knowing the pros and cons, and of their own free will a person should be able to take anything they wish.
Are drugs cheating? In many sports currently, yes. They are cheating if the rules explicitly state they are not to be taken by a competitor in preparation for an event. Is it 'cheating' for a recreational user, just a bro or broette in the gym, to use them to improve their physique? Is it cheating in sports such as powerlifting or strongman with federations/contests that do not have rules against PEDs? No to both. It isn't cheating if it isn't against the rules.
Where the waters get murky is in sports with governing bodies that have imposes PED bans. I would go as far as to bet that every single one of those still have an overwhelming number of "dirty" athletes. If a contest/league is recognized to crown the greatest in that sport in the world, or it is a stepping stone to the the one that does, then you have a conflict of spirit. The drive and need to be the greatest at something doesn't play well with limits, especially when there is no guarantee that your competition are going to follow them either.
Cheating the system is an unwritten rule of strength sports. Even if it weren't that way originally, secretive culture and rampant paranoia drove it there. The greatest the human body is capable of is achieved with talent, hard work, luck, and topped up with pharmaceuticals. That's the truth. If you want to be the best, you let nothing stand in your way. That comes with extremes of ego and pride that it takes to be the best at something. Necessary evils.
Are there wrong ways to take PEDs/Steroids? Yes.
1) Taking the wrong kind when you are too young and screwing up your maturation process.
2) Taking too much. Either in amount or frequency. Supplanting and undermining your body's natural processes.
Neither of these things will really deter the single minded. They are risks they are willing to take, sacrifices they are willing to make. Is it really a sport's place to put limits on the commitment to excellence of their athletes? Especially for professionals when it is their livelihood and legacy at stake.
So now we finally visit the title question. Why all the hate? I think it's jealousy, plain and simple. The average person has never felt the bone deep, overwhelming drive to be the best at something. That their purpose in life is to leave a lasting mark on the history books of their passion. I know of scientists, musicians, and artists that feel the same and sometimes go to unhealthy lengths to achieve it, yet are never vilified for it.
The sports viewing audience is torn. They want to see spectacle, they want to see the unbelievable, but they want to feel like they could have achieved it themselves. Most every sports fan doesn't have even an iota of the drive and commitment it would take, but they want to delude themselves into thinking they could. Steroids and PEDs are a step too many know, either because of ignorantly or knowledge, that they are not willing to take, and that destroys their illusion. This grudge is compounded but fear mongering and demonization until it reaches the levels we know and love today.
It's a step I will never take, could never take, but will never condemn someone who will.
I personally think the professional level of commitment is scary and extreme. I have too many wants in life including specifically my career and family. I'm also way too lazy. I love sport and challenge I also love wasting a day playing video games and eating awesome food. I've never even formed sport fandom. When I watch sports, I'm never really cheering for one team or individual, I want to see good competition. Even as a kid when I had a team that was "my team", I was only going through the motions. I have a hobby and a love of challenges. I'm never going to be 'that guy' and I'm okay with that. If you aren't, you should be too eventually.
Steroids can still be a shortcut. If you plan on taking them you better have all your other affairs in order. You had better be a professional in your nutrition, training, recovery, and financial support or you do not really have the proper commitment and your just looking for a quick fix for your failings.
What do I want? PED and Steroid acceptance. Then we can easily create two streams of competition, one for their use and one without. Notice I didn't say with/without testing. Testing is a joke and a terrible waste of time and money for sports that don't earn nearly enough. If there is acceptance, and two streams, then there is no added prestige in winning a competition on performance enhancers in a league for those who do not use them. If there is nothing to hide, there is no stigma, and you can compete in your place. Some powerlifting federations are currently operating like this and I plan to support them. In strongman, there are beginning to be choices. I can see the light of possibility.
We need to erase the hate and build a competitive landscape for both. I'm pretty sure it will never happen, but I can always hope. All of strength sports are already held back by this and can never step into the spotlight without the hate and paranoia cloud that surrounds them.
Rack
No comments:
Post a Comment